Skip to main content

McCalls 6242 Iridescent Knit Tunic

I received a very unusual fabric in my last FabricMart mystery bundle.  It looked like a black mesh sports fabric in one light, but if you turned it another way, you could see royal blue sequins.

I wasn't sure what to call it, but I found this definition and thought it fit the fabric:
"Iridescence is an optical phenomenon of surfaces in which hue changes in correspondence with the angle from which a surface is viewed."

I wanted to make something for parties that myself and my daughters could all share, and I thought my daughters would like McCalls 6242.  This is a real sleeper of a pattern, as you cannot tell from the cover photo how neat the construction is for the sleeves.  
McCalls 6242 with Iridescent Knit

Sleeve gusset from the inside.
Sleeve gusset from the outside.




















The sleeves are two pieces and they have a hidden gusset underneath, so that you can wear the top without your bra showing under the arm.  I love this feature.  I am wearing a cami with this one though, just because my fabric is a little sheer.  It's also a little itchy.  I do like this fabric and I would buy more if I can find it, despite the itchiness.  It's just too cool!

The shoulders are pleated and connected with what they call shoulder yokes.  This looks a little like an epaulette.  This part is a little tricky.  The pattern is rated Easy, but I think a beginner would be confused at this part.

I think the neckline is a little lower on me than on their photo.  I will make a size smaller in the neck area if I make it again.  I would like to make it again if I can find an equally cool fabric to use. This is one of those patterns that lets the fabric do the talking.  This was really the devil to get it to photograph so you could get glimpses of the sequin like effect.  I hope you can see the sparkles! 

So, my daughters and I have a neat top to wear for holiday parties. Just crossing my fingers that our parties aren't all on the same night!

Comments

  1. What a fun little top! I think it will be perfect for holiday parties, and aren't you a hip mom to share your clothes with your daughters. And you are right about the pattern being a sleeper - I never noticed the interesting shoulder treatments. I'm adding this to my buy list. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty and I love it with all the jewelry. Super feminine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great holiday top! I never noticed this pattern in the book - great shoulder details. And how lucky to get this interesting piece of fabric in your mystery bundle. I love those things...I've gotten some great fabric that I would never have ordered.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this one on my table to wear for New Years Day. It's so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning top for the holidays! You look very stylish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun top - looks like it would enjoy a party!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hadn’t noticed this pattern before. It is definitely the perfect pattern for the iridescent knit fabric. What a lovely holiday top. I hope you and your daughters don't want to wear it to the same event.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! I would love to hear your opinions! Please share your comments here.

Popular posts from this blog

What to Wear in Madagascar

To be honest, I have no idea what to wear in Madagascar, and this title may need to be changed to "what NOT to wear in Madagascar" in a few months.  We will have to wait and see.  My 22 year old daughter, Alyssa, left for the Peace Corps this week, and she will be stationed in Madagascar for the next 2 years and 3 months.  Yes, you read that right- TWO YEARS and three months!!! We are very proud of her for wanting to help make the world a better place, and for being fearless in doing so, but it will be a looooong time for Mama and Papa back home. Not knowing anything about Madagascar, the first step in figuring out what to pack was to figure out the weather and the cultural norms.  Madagascar is a very large island off the southeastern coast of Africa.  It's very, very unique in it's ecosystem, and has many species that are not found anywhere else in the world- most famously lemurs. Right now, it is experiencing it's rainy season, as you can see by the

Vogue 9305 Asymmetrical Tunics

It's April and we're expecting snow tonight.  Have we switched hemispheres?  Nevertheless, I am sewing with visions of warm sunny days.  And for those warm sunny days to come, I imagine sitting in the shade with a light breeze flowing through the air, enjoying a light beverage with friends.  Just close your eyes and you can imagine too.  What would you be wearing?  Well,  I love a dramatic asymmetrical tunic made of the softest linen.  As luck would have it, I found just the fabric in the "As Is" section in Fabric Mart's sales category.  With just some irregular dye marks on the selvage, it was marked down, but still completely usable.  It started out as a solid color, but I did an ombre dip dye process to get this look- more on that later! For my pattern, I chose Vogue 9305 , a tunic with a shaped hemline, and two styles of pants (I didn't make the pants).   This pattern must be the biggest bang for your time possible.  The tunic went tog

Grey Cashmere Coat Simplicity 3672

For the past few months, Fabric Mart has had the most gorgeous array of Michael Kors Wool Blend Coatings that I have ever seen!  During COVID stay at home time, I've been letting my gray grow out, and I thought that even though some of the delicious sounding shades like apricot and apple green would be beautiful, the heathered gray shade would be the most flattering to my gray hair and the most versatile for a winter coat.  And it was one of the coatings that listed Cashmere as one of the fiber components, so I was curious as to how that would feel.